Here is a longer version of an article published in the Uki Village News, October/November 2016 issue.
From September 9 this year until October 10 next year Jupiter will be transiting the Cardinal Air Sign of Libra. This transition resonated with a bang: possibly the largest ever nuclear warhead was tested in North Korea on the very day of the transition; no surprising given that Jupiter never does anything half measure. It is not all gloom and doom though, most students of Astrology, including myself, consider Jupiter in Libra a mainly positive development for the collective.
The recent transit through Virgo (with Jupiter involved, on/off, in a rather difficult and paradoxical configuration involving stingy Saturn and open-handed Neptune) did manifest as a stifling of the generous impulses and optimism traditionally associated with this planet. This coming 12 months Jupiter will instead align to Uranus and Pluto, all now in Cardinal dynamic Signs, more likely to inspire collective changes of a great magnitude.
The fear of changes, reflected by Jupiter in timid Virgo, may be replaced by enthusiasm for trying new ideas and policies, and perhaps the ruthlessness necessary to cut the roots of a noxious past, with those in power hopefully more willing to take up the need of radical reforms.
The periods more likely to see the outer manifestation of these new cosmic alignments will be November to late December 2016, March, and then August to late September 2017. These transits will encourage many to embrace changes, collectively aligning ourselves to principles of justice and equality. In particular people with Air, Fire and Cardinal Signs highlighted in their Birth Horoscopes will be more likely to respond to this cosmic vibes, embracing a more adventurous and risk taking philosophy of life.
At the personal level the big planet could help us find new friends and make new contacts with the greater world. Finally, Jupiter in Libra is a stalwart patron of the arts. This could be a time of feeling inspired again, in love, art and social ideals. Most importantly, it’s a time of finding our inspirations together.
Jupiter in Libra in recent history
Looking back in history at the time, last century and this, when Jupiter transited Libra (at interval of 12 years) it is easy to see how, even without the accompanying alignment to revolutionary Uranus and trans-formative Pluto active in 2017, this transit tends to manifest as positive changes to the ideological and philosophical mindset of the planet. Civil Rights and Grass Roots Movements, for example, receive a new impetus with open minded Jupiter transiting peace loving, cooperative Libra. Jupiter supports works of reconciliation between warring parties, the signature of important contracts, be they constitutions, trade deals, or something a bit more personal.
If that sounds philosophical, it’s because we’re going to be in a philosophical state of mind during Jupiter in Libra, which will form a positive aspect (sextile) to Saturn in Sagittarius, a Sign traditionally ruled by Jupiter himself.
Many financial astrologers reckon that the cardinal T-square, involving Jupiter to Uranus and Pluto, will manifest as a major economic re-balancing, or “market correction”, with equal winners and losers. Libra is balance, not meaning that balance is always achieved, but rather that balance is the ultimate goal.
Peace accords and trade agreements of great international consequence have been signed during past Jupiter’s transits through Libra, strengthening hopes that the cease fire in Syria, decided on the day Jupiter entered Libra, may hold and eventually bring permanent peace to the region. Jupiter in Libra, at its best, could de-escalate many conflicts, at the personal and collective level, at least for a time. Venus, traditionally associated with Libra, will go through a retrograde period starting in the opposite Sign of Aries from early March to mid April 2017, possibly an obstacle or an extended crisis in any peace process.
I list here few historical examples of events associated with the transits of Jupiter in Libra:
- In 1946 many trials for genocide and crimes against humanity were held in Nurenberg, to bring some sense of justice to the millions who had suffered before and during WWII. Strangely enough the previous transit of Jupiter in Libra (1933/34) had witnessed the promulgations of the racial laws in Germany! I cannot help seeing the similarity in the world’s situation at present, divided as we are along racial, ideological and religious borders.
- The Civil Rights Act was signed into law in 1957, a great step toward social justice in the USA.
- 1968/69 were the iconic years of grass roots movements becoming very active in all western countries, ushering the beginning of the end of the Vietnam war, the rise of political and social reforms, the so called sexual revolution etc. In 1968 there were mass protests and violent clashes in Ireland, producing some concessions to Catholic in a bitterly divided country.
- In 1992/93 the Oslo accord was signed, the first in the long running Israel/Palestinian saga.
- In 1992/93 also a Strategic Arms Reduction Treaty was also signed by the USA and Russia.
- A single European market was created in 1992, eliminating trade barriers in Europe.
- In the same years South Africa abandoned its nuclear weapons program, and the International Chemical Weapons Convention was established.
- In 1992 the Church of England admitted women to the priesthood for the first time. Also in 1992 the Project AIDS Memorial Quilt was unveiled in New York, raising awareness to the plight of million ostracised sufferers. In 1992, again the USA, women were allowed to fly military aircrafts and the first female attorney General was elected.
- In 2004/05 Kuwati women regained the right to vote (!).
- The rise of social Networking, the most powerful grass roots movement of our modern era: the World Wide Web was released as a royalty free application in April 1993, sparking a global wave of multicultural cooperation; Facebook was born in 2004 and Youtube in 2005; freedom loving net users welcomed the release of the Ubuntu free and open source operating system in 2004. Furthermore Ubuntu’s precursor was released in 1993, another Jupiter in Libra epoch.
- Advances in astronomy and space exploration:
- 1957: first Sputnik launched by the Soviet Union.
- 1958: birth of
- 1969: first manned Moon landing (with Jupiter conjunct Uranus on the very first degree of the Sign); first trial flight of Concorde; Vietnam’s peace talks begin in Paris; first Boeing 747 commercial flight.
- 1981: first orbital flight of the Space Shuttle.
- 1993: space station agreement between the USA and Russia was signed, first act of space cooperation between these super powers.
Jupiter has been orbiting in alignment with the earth’s Equator for some time now, exerting a greater pull than usual on our planet, fact that could account for the numerous Earth’s tremors and major quake events of the last few weeks.
The ingress itself corresponded to the man-made Earth’s tremor caused by the latest and biggest nuclear test in North Korea (an eerie synchronicity).
For students of Astrology I am listing here the major transits active during the whole Jupiter in Libra period:
- Mars in Capricorn squares Jupiter in Libra at 5 degrees, Wednesday, October 5th
- Mercury conjuncts Jupiter 6 degrees Libra Tuesday, October 11th
- Jupiter in Libra squares Pluto in Capricorn 15 degrees Thursday, November 24th
- Venus in Capricorn squares Jupiter in Libra 15 degrees Friday, November 25th
- Jupiter in Libra opposes Uranus retrograde in Aries 20 degrees Monday, December 26th
- Sun in Capricorn squares Jupiter in Libra 22 degrees Wednesday, January 11th
- Mercury in Capricorn squares Jupiter in Libra 23 degrees Thursday, February 2nd
- Jupiter stations retrograde 23 degrees Libra Monday, February 6th
- Mars in Aries opposes Jupiter Rx in Libra 22 degrees Monday, February 27th
- Jupiter Rx in Libra opposes Uranus in Aries 22 degrees Thursday, March 2nd, 7:16 PM
- Mercury in Aries opposes Jupiter Rx in Libra 20 degrees Friday, March 24th
- Jupiter Rx in Libra squares Pluto in Capricorn 19 degrees Thursday, March 30th
- Sun in Aries opposes Jupiter Rx in Libra 18 degrees Friday, April 7th
- Jupiter stations direct at 13 degrees Libra Friday, June 9th
- Mars in Cancer squares Jupiter in Libra 13 degrees Friday, June 23rd
- Mercury in Cancer squares Jupiter in Libra 13 degrees Tuesday, June 27th
- Sun in Cancer squares Jupiter in Libra 14 degrees Wednesday, July 5th
- Jupiter in Libra squares Pluto retrograde in Capricorn 17 degrees Friday, August 4th
- Jupiter in Libra opposes Uranus retrograde in Aries 27 degrees Wednesday